Scholars are re-thinking the chief causes that led to the period of history known as the Crusades. Learn more about these new ideas.
Discussion Questions for this video:
- What demographic and cultural factors made Europeans begin to look outward?
- What role did the call to Crusade play for young, western European men?
- How was religious motivation used to encourage men to risk life and security and go on a Crusade?
- What group was portrayed as pagans to potential recruits for the crusade?
- What was the relationship between pilgrimage and war in calls to the crusades?
Additional Learning Resources
- Maps of the Crusades
- Timeline of the Crusades
- Historical Overview and Legacy of the Crusades
- Analyzing the Popes’ calls to the Crusades, and Muslim responses
- Jerusalem in Judaism, Christianity and Islam
- Military Innovations of the Crusades period
- Cultural and artistic exchanges of the Crusades period (Pt. 2)